Monday, May 23, 2011

Gross. Not Gross. (part 2)

These are grasshoppers. This is food here in Kampala--not bait, not lizard food, people food. There is actually a street that several guys stand alongside with big buckets full of these cooked grasshoppers for your enjoyment. Gross. My friend Josh bought some and we gave then a try.
Josh actually cooked them again--lightly breaded them, stir fried them, and added salt. The Southern way! I tried them before we cooked them and after we cooked them.

The taste was described to me as a juicy french fry. The description is actually pretty accurate. After we recooked them, they were just crispy like an overcooked french fry. In all honesty, they were not that bad. Not good enough for me to go back for seconds though.

Don't you love the fact that Gideon is checking out what I'm eating! On the same night, my housemates made Mexican food--at least our closest Ugandan approximation. NOT Gross! Somebody had even found some tortilla chips at one of the grocery stores. It was quite the feast.

Still praying that I will get my passport tomorrow so I can head home on Friday.

No comments: